Guidelines and instructions
All abstracts must be submitted in English using the online submission form.
Abstracts must contain original scientific data collected by the author(s). All abstracts will be reviewed by the Scientific Committee. The Scientific Committee reserves the right to determine whether a submission is accepted as an oral, video or a poster presentation and its decision is final.
The abstract may be scheduled for presentation on any day from 4-7 September 2019.
- Adjustable gastric banding
Anaesthesia and bariatric surgery
Bariatric surgery in children, adolescents and young adults
Bariatric surgery in the over 65’s
Bariatric surgery tourism
Basic science and research in bariatric surgery
Cardiovascular risk and bariatric surgery
Emergent technology, New Non standard and bariatric surgery
Endoscopic and Percutaneous Interventional Procedures
Enhanced recovery in bariatric surgery
Exercise and bariatric surgery
Fertility, pregnancy and bariatric surgery
Gastric bypass procedures including Roux-en-Y gastric bypass (RYGB) and One Anastomosis gastric bypass (OAGB)/MGB
GERD and bariatric surgery
Hernia surgery in the bariatric patient
Long term results (> 10 years)
Malabsorptive bariatric operations
Management of weight regain after surgery
Multidisciplinary care (Primary care, Medical Management)
NASH and bariatric surgery
Nutrition after bariatric surgery
Plastic surgery after weight loss
Psychology and bariatric surgery - pre and post-op challenges
Registries and Quality in Bariatric Surgery
Robotic bariatric surgery
Surgery and strategies for low BMI
Type 2 diabetes and metabolic surgery
Young IFSO session
The reviewers are blinded as to the authors and their affiliation. Please do not put any information in the body of the abstract or the video that may indicate the provenance of your abstract.
- The title of the abstract must be less than 20 words.
- The body of the abstract must be concise with less than 250 words. The abstract system will not accept abstracts that exceed 250 words (body of the abstract).
- The abstract must be split into the following sections:
- Background / introduction
- There are three types of presentation available – Oral, Poster and Video. Please note that selecting oral will ensure your abstract is considered for oral presentation. As presentation slots are limited and the abstract may be reallocated for poster presentation.
- Please ensure that you indicate the presenting author on the abstract. If the submitting author is also the presenting author then please mark this as the presenting author.
- Abbreviations and SI units should be defined, in parenthesis, in its first use in the abstract.
- Tables must be attached into the body of the abstract – a maximum of 2 can be submitted. Please note that inserting tables will reduce your word capacity.
- Please note that these tables may be resized to fit the final printed material.
- A maximum of 2 figures / graphs can be included in the abstract. Must be submitted in JPG/ BMP format with a maximum width of 9cm, and resolution up to 150 dpi
- Videos – Please submit the abstract and upload the video for review. Maximum size of the video: 500MB. Acceptable video formats are: .mp4 or .m4v
- Videos should be in a standardized format:
- (1) Video title
- (2) clinical presentation and indication for surgery
- (3) preoperative x-ray images/endoscopy/blood results
- (4) operative procedure
- (5) postoperative outcome
- Careful typing and proofreading are essential, as otherwise the abstract may be amended or rejected.
- Results reported using statements such as “results will be presented” or “data will be analysed” will not be accepted.
- A maximum of 5 abstracts will be accepted per presenting author. Those who have already reached this number can only be listed as co-author.
- There are no limits of authors per abstract.
What happens once I submit my abstract?
Abstracts will be reviewed using strict guidelines.
Presenters will be notified of their abstract status no later than Wednesday 15th May 2019.
Authors will have until Wednesday 22nd May 2019 to withdraw abstracts from the proceedings. After this date no withdrawals will be accepted.
Please note that all abstract presenters are required to register to attend the meeting by the Early Bird deadline no later than 8th June 2019– if you have not registered by this date your abstract will be withdrawn.
Further information on your presentation (presentation time for oral presenters, set up details for poster presenters) will be sent to authors in June 2019.
Abstracts will be published in “Obesity Surgery” which will be available in electronic format at the conference.
In case of a no show without written justification to Congress after the approval of the abstract, the Scientific Committee will contact the author to ask the reason. If they don’t receive adequate justification, the author will receive a suspension from participation in the next two IFSO congresses.
Submitted abstracts/cases should not have been published in any other journals and/or online publications nor presented at any previous international congress.
A submitter, presenter or co-author submitting or presenting published work will lead to:
-Withdrawal of their presentation from the Press Conference and/or Scientific Session
-Prohibition of submitting abstracts/cases to any IFSO congress for one year
Submitted abstracts/cases must report new information not previously published or presented at a national or international scientific meeting prior to the Congress. Note that abstracts/cases previously presented at meetings will not be accepted unless there is a substantial update of data.
Identified duplicates will be retracted from all related IFSO publications.
The content belongs to the author(s). However if the abstract/case is accepted, the submitter agrees, on behalf of all co-authors, to transfer and assign to IFSO the rights to reformat, publish, reproduce, distribute and prepare derivative works such as press releases and/or educational products directly or with partners. This includes use in indexes or search databases in print, electronic, or other media.
Author(s) retain the right, after presentation at the Congress, to subsequently include the work in articles, books, or derivative works that he/she authors or edits, provided said use does not imply the endorsement of IFSO.
The submitter signs for all co-authors. He/she accepts responsibility for the present rules for submission and presentation on behalf of all co-authors.
I also grant and assign to IFSO2019 the rights to film, record, reproduce, reprint, and otherwise make use of the works, or any presentation of the works, in any media or format, and authorize the IFSO2019 to use my name, likeness, photograph, and biographical data in connection with its use and promotion of the works in connection with education works related to the Congress.
The EB has recently decided that the top 10 oral abstracts will have to be mandatorily submitted to OBSU for publication.
Only if the author of one of these 10 oral abstracts wishes to submit the article to a different higher quality journal, he/she has to inform in writing the Editor-in-Chief of OBSU, to inform him and give evidence of the other submission to the other journal, in order to be excused. If the abstract is rejected from the other journal then it has to be submitted to OBSU mandatorily.